Monday 15 November 2010

PPD - Group tutorial prep

1. What is Industrial experience?
To me it is gaining knowledge of the graphic design industry by visiting creative professionals, studios, print factories, emailing / writing to professional to get a better and more importantly a first hand understanding of what it is / where it is I want to work. It becomes an important way of creating contacts and create networking in order to gain work.

At present, I've only visited 2 print places - Trident in Hull and Team in Leeds - it was a real eye opener and really great to see first hand the process of print.
Aside from that, I've been to a few talks from professionals, one being the four designers conference in London.

2. What can you learn from industrial experience?
  • See what the competition is - what skills you may want to improve on or styles you like. 
  • Example - the print place - Team - really learn what the process is - from costing a job right through to packaging and sending out - was great to learn how expensive some print processes really are - will aid me in the future when thinking about a clients budget. 
  • Understand what it's really like to be a professional - hear horror stories about horrific clients - help you deal better in the future. 
  • Have the opportunity to make contacts.
  • Build relationships - e.g. with printers.
3. What form/format could industrial experience take?
  • visiting creative professionals
  • Visit studios, 
  • Visit print factories. 
  • Emailing / writing to professionals.
  • Attend exhibitions, networking events. 

4. What areas of industry are you interested in?
  •  Heavily interested in the music industry, really want to make designs for bands - but I still want to be involved with the band etc - would want the contact - don't want to work for a huge company - would want the musician to feel like I care about them so to speak.
  • Editorial designs
  • Art Direction - photo shoots etc. 
  • More print based as opposed to digital design. 
  • Something ethical - animals, sustainability etc - I know I don't want to compromise my ethics and every work for McDonalds.

5. What are your concerns about industrial experience?
Although I know that experience will strengthen my confidence, at the moment I have massive concerns about industrial experience - I have trouble talking to my tutors, nevermind a stranger - I just have this idea that they won't care about me - be interested in my work or even want to talk to me - I know in the majority of cases this won't be true, but I don't know, I just think I hold some designers in such high regard - particularly as their work is out there - and it just makes me nervous talking to them. Think I'll have a massive problem when trying to put together a PDF portfolio to send out to them and actually hitting the send button! Yikes!!

2 comments:

  1. it's completely normal to be nervous when talking to those you admire-that never goes away- well it hasn't with me.
    if you have a common interest- design/film/advertising/packaging etc-it will make it so much easier to have a conversation.
    there will be help when you need to chose your work for PDF's and we will hold your hand when you hit send-or hit it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. see you have signed up for tomorrow mornings sesh.looking forward to catching up with you and seeing where you've got to with the search for industrial exp.x

    ReplyDelete