Tuesday 23 November 2010

Evaluation - what is good

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I have learned so much throughout this module... just not necessarily applied it. It's such a broad subject and I 've only just scratched the surface, but the trip to Team really opened my eyes and I loved what I saw. I've never been aware of things like hot foiling and spot varnishes and this module has given me a new set of medias to really strengthen my work.
The workshops with Mike I feel have been more than beneficial and I now understand more about file formats, checking for mistakes in Indesign and I feel I have developed my skills more in this way.
However, I'm not really sure I have applied much of what I have learned very effectively. I just feel this brief didn't go as smoothly as I wanted, things went wrong countless times and having to correct them has slowed me down and I have been unable to fully explore designs for packages etc. 


2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
By learning more about print processes, I have now been able to identify various print processes and fully appreciate the work gone into pieces of design. This in turn, has made me see how possible and easy it is to apply processes such as embossing, spot varnishes etc to really enhance my work.
The trip to Team was a really good research trip and this helped my thinking in terms of costings and the true cost of printing. 

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I really aren't happy with the way this brief went - things just went wrong, so it is hard for me to identify strengths in my work. I think the potential is there for me to re do the project to create some really strong pieces of portfolio work, but right now I can only see that there is work to be done. 
However I do feel that I am now testing and experimenting slightly more than I have before - various stocks, processes etc - particularly with the logo and the masks.
 
4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
As you can imagine I think my weaknesses lie in the final products - what I handed in is all on different stocks - the colours vary greatly - this is down to time and things that went wrong. I spent way too much time on experimenting with the masks which was a lengthy task and therefore didn't leave much time for exploring with packaging and designs. I just feel that I've not been that committed this module - I've really felt the pressure of learning so much and trying to test and apply everything along with battling problems at home and trying to work to pay my bills. It's no excuse but I realise I need to sort this out - it's just going to take a bit of time to adjust. 

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
1. Allow more time to create the products to a good standard - I didn't allow much time for this and when I'd printed things, I saw mistakes and needed to reprint, this in turn meant I ran out of good stocks that I wanted and the 'finals' if you can call them that just look awful.
2. Not spend too long on one aspect of the project - I feel I spent way too long trying to get the masks right which meant I haven't explored the packaging aspect as fully as I wanted to. 
3. Sit in the studio for ages... I know I've been at home in Hull when I've not 'needed' to be in and I feel this is my downfall - I'm going to try being in the studio lots over the next module - because when I did, I felt I got a lot done. But like I say I've having to sort some financial issues and personal problems at home and it is a real struggle at the moment.
4. Ask for opinions and help more. Think is pretty self explanatory. 
5. Spend more time preparing to craft - the package - the screen I prepared didn't turn out as well as I hoped so I tried to make the best of a bad situation due to time, if I spend more time preparing screens properly this hopefully won't be the case next time. 
 
6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
Attendance: 3 
I know my attendance hasn't been brilliant this module due to the fact I've had to go to work and been so ill.
Punctuality: 5
Motivation: 2 - I feel I've struggled to connect this term and get back into the swing of things particularly as I'm battling other issues.
Commitment: 2 - partly down to me being motivated and not connecting - feel this is making me less committed to things.
Quantity of Work Produced: 3
I feel like i have designed quite a lot, maybe too many final resolutions which in turn made each one a lower quality
Quality of Work Produced: 2
I really don't like what I have produced this time round and feel that over Christmas I will redo the project - purely because I think it could have great results and I want something nice for my portfolio.
Contribution to the Group: 3 - I feel this module I have been able to express my views more clearly and felt I can tell people what I think in a constructive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment