Sunday 2 October 2011

PPD Year 3 Discussion - Group Tutorial

"Could we ask you to reflect on the Summer and any work experience, meetings and visits you may have had. Come prepared to discuss within the groups"
Questions to think about and discuss:

1. What major point stands out in your learning of this experience?
Didn't manage to get any placements or studio visits due to traveling and working, but the experience gained through traveling has given me a new perspective  on life - where I want to be, what I want to do in terms of business - i.e. I preferably want to move across to New York and be a freelancer. I have managed however, to line up a studio visit at a friend's photographers studio as I want to develop my skills in this area - understand how the lighting works etc and try and develop skills in Photoshop. One major point over the summer was getting feedback from Craig Ward (need to work on my illustration skills and make sure the finish is there) and Mr Bingo (who kindly said to contact him after I've graduated to go down for a visit).
I did contact a few studios in America before I went away - unfortunately no one got back to me and the time constraints in each place made it difficult and slightly pointless for me to ask to pop to any studios.

2.What one thing would you have done differently whilst there or in preparation?
Contacted American studios last Christmas rather than in May - give more time to contacting. Made more time in August to visit British studios. 

3. Has it changed your outlook on the business going into your final year?
From a cultural point of view, yes - I do want to live abroad now (I think) and after speaking to a couple of freelance illustrators I do realise this is what I want to do (eventually) but then again, I've not spent any time on placement - so need to see what that's like first.

No comments:

Post a Comment