Wednesday 5 January 2011

Task 3 - How will I promote myself?

What do ʻtheyʼ want to hear? 
What should I say to ʻthemʼ? 
How will I communicate with ʻthemʼ?

So obviously I will have to brand myself in a way that speaks to musicians - however this is such a broad sector with many different genres so hopefully my style will appeal to a few. A business card is a must and keeping my blog up to date will help to generate interest in my work. I also want to set up a separate website that just shows my portfolio and illustrations - only shows the best of my work. Perhaps I could offer on my website some info pack that could be sent out to potential clients to show up close a bit of work - though this will cost to produce! Perhaps a downloadable PDF or a downloadable show reel if I make animations?
Once (hopefully) a bit of interest grows within my work I can then start to demonstrate my 'loyalties' and 'proof of good work' through asking clients to respond with comments to display to show my work is good enough.
I want people to know that I have a big interest in music and want to demonstrate this in the type of work shown on my blog / website and I want people to know that I am really interested in what they do and that I will really listen to what they have to say / what they want. I'd be very happy to attend one to one meetings with bands taking a notepad to sketch ideas there and then so they get a feel straight away that they are being listened to. 

Place - where do I want to be? Ideally I want to stay up north (people are much friendlier up here :)! Joke!) I want to stay either in Leeds or a move to Manchester perhaps? Both of which have fantastic music scenes (Manchester especially) also because both these cities are quite close to each other and have close surrounding high profiled music venues - Nottingham, Newcastle etc I just feel that there is much more scope for me to get involved with local music scenes and be 'put on' to other bands through local gigs and be at the heart of the city. I feel that up North it would feel more personal to me and increase my passion for music even more - this does not mean to say that I always want to stay northern - I just want to state that my roots are here and start my career on a personal level where I can feel connected more to the local music scene.

I feel that this will help me in the long run any way - if I can get to lots of local gigs - do a bit of networking I'm sure I can pick up work that will help promote myself and get me noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment