Sunday 15 November 2009

OUGD101 - No News Is Good News Message and Delivery

Brief- to creat 10 mail shots on a specific topic based on the posters of the last brief.
Concept Building:
What?
To create awareness of a "campaign" (fictional) against hooliganism.
Why?
United front against football violence - make people feel safer.
How?
Poster or Pop up envelope.
Who?
I would send this out to youth teams - to try and help stamp out football violence from a young ages, also football goers - try and help encourage them to return to matches.
Potentially this mailshot is there to promote the "campaign" and direct to a website (splash page - blogspot).
Colour and stock?
Colours to potentially stay the same as the previous posters, but stock - will have to consider the weight so it folds well and doesn't blister. Also the ink didn't dry too well for the posters so that needs to be taken into consideration aswell.

Crit One - peer crit.
This first crit came after a week of working up ideas. The majority of my ideas were just drawings at this point and my ideas were not too clear due to the fact I felt i wasn't coming up with brilliant ideas.

Issues raised:
Make target audience clear in mind.
What stock to use.
Think about composition and text that I will put on it.
Focus message further.

Actions to take.:
Look at using more football associated imagery.
Pick a net.
Information on the inside.
Figure out composition.
Make prototypes.

So I took this all on board and worked up some prototypes ready for crit number two.

Crit Two - with John.
Points raised:
Needs a sender's address.
The space on (prototype 4) the 3D area - is there going to be anything else there? - Could use prison bars.
Need to look at using another colour - as grey could be a tint.

This got me thinking about the whole design - it wasn't my best by any means, so I went back to readdress the points that John had brought up in the crit - he also knew that I had found it a challenge - but I think thats because I was going with an idea I didn't fully believe in.
What I've produced now I'm fairly happy with, it has been simplified down - I've realised it doesn't need lots of extras - or anything outrageous like pop up to make it look good. It works well with what it has got. The second crit definatly opened my eyes to see that I needed a chat about my work before I realised what the problem was. I still feel that it communicates what I wanted to say by using simple techniques - I managed to include the prison bars purely by adding an extra piece of card with cut out rectangles to represent bars.
The simple red strip I added I think works - it draws attention to one of the main points of hooliganism - in the fact it is considered the "English disease".
So, one of the mailshots needed to be sent out to university - hope it gets there in time and in one piece... only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment